After a brief detour into the world of the JSA (Justice Society of America) and the wonderful world of Wonder Woman, I am now back on the track of my original reading plan to read all of the JLA/JSA cross-over issues starting in 1963 and through to 1985 when the Crisis on Infinite Earths occurred.
I have completed volumes 1 through 5 of Crisis on Multiple Earths and in terms of years published I am now in the early 1980s
Starting with Justice League of America issue #193, I learn about how the Justice Society of America is disbanded at the start of WWII and I am introduced to the All-Star Squadron.
Then I am going to skip the first four issues of All-Star Squadron and start with All-Star Squadron #5 January 1982.
Why did I skip the first four issues of All-Star Squadron? Because Shiera (Hawkgirl) Sanders does not appear until issue #5. According to the listings I have found, Hawkgirl appears in issues 5 through 13 and after that she does not appear again until issue #29. So, the reading plan calls for All-Star Squadron:
- All-Star Squadron #5
- All-Star Squadron #6
- All-Star Squadron #7
- All-Star Squadron #8
- All-Star Squadron #9
- All-Star Squadron #10
- All-Star Squadron #11
- All-Star Squadron #12
- All-Star Squadron #13
I will interleave my reading of the above with volume 6 of Crisis on Multiple Earths. Notice below that issues #14 and #15 of All-Star Squadron are included in this volume. These are cross-over issues where once again Hawkgirl is a no-show!
- Justice League of America #195 1981
- Justice League of America #196 1981
- Justice League of America #197 1981
- Justice League of America #207 1982
- All-Star Squadron #14 1982
- Justice League of America #208 1982
- All-Star Squadron #15 1982
- Justice League of America #209
Then comes the icing on the cake, the infamous or famous, however one looks at it, Crisis on Infinite Earths. The series that I passed on reading in 1985, because at age 30, I thought that I was too old to read comic books.
- Crisis on Infinite Earths #1
- Crisis on Infinite Earths #2
- Crisis on Infinite Earths #3
- Crisis on Infinite Earths #4
- Crisis on Infinite Earths #5
- Crisis on Infinite Earths #6
- Crisis on Infinite Earths #7
- Crisis on Infinite Earths #8
- Crisis on Infinite Earths #9
- Crisis on Infinite Earths #10
- Crisis on Infinite Earths #11
- Crisis on Infinite Earths #12
And where do I plan to go from here…
The Hawkman series that ran from 2002-2007
There has been four Hawkman series published over the past six decades.
1) Hawkman volume 1 was publish between 1964 and 1968 for 27 issues. It was combined with the “Atom” title and became “Atom and Hawkman” briefly in 1969 for 8 issues. I have all of these issue in a two volume TPB titled “Showcase Presents Hawkman”. I have just finished reading volume 1.
2) Hawkman volume 2 was published between August 1986 and December 1987 for 17 issues. This does not appear to be available either in TPB or digital.
3) Hawkman volume 3 was published between September, 1993 and June, 1996. There were 34 issues. This also does not appear to be available either in TPB or digital.
4) Hawkman volume 4 was published between May 2002 and April 2006. There were 49 issues under the title of Hawkman. Hawkgirl began publication in 2006, following the events of Infinite Crisis. The series continued the numbering sequence from Hawkman (Volume 4) and ran until July of 2007, discontinuing with issue #66. These issues are available in digital format and collections are soon to released.